Monday, October 17, 2011

Jelly Jiggler?!

Now, some of you, after reading yesterday's post might be wondering what on earth that surprised Gumby look-alike is.

Again, as I look back on my life, it is truly amazing to see how the Lord works, and His ways are indeed mysterious. The blue Gumby guy is called "Jelly Jiggler" from the Japanese anime and manga series "Bo-bobo Bo-bobobo". The series on a whole is a madcap assortment of all things weird and hilarious, and definitely makes me laugh. Now, the reason that I credit Jelly Jiggler for my membership in Nu is because in the anime/manga, the character is obsessed with the Japanese Hiragana (which I am assuming is some kind of alternate written language composed of symbols that represent specific sounds that aren't romanizations) character that looks like this:

Which is the symbol for the sound "Nu". The character appears often in tandem with Jelly Jiggler's antics, whether it be his beloved hankie littered with the symbol or some bizarre incantation that consists entirely of "NU NU NU NU NU NU NU NU NU NU NU" and the like.

If by this point you've lost all faith in me, I don't blame ya. Just sayin'.

So anyhow, after Rush, I was handed a paper where I was to write down three of my preferences. I wrote down Sigma, the club to which my cousin belonged, and in second place, Nu. Now, I don't even remember what Nu had set up for Rush. I don't remember talking to a single member of Nu. I just wrote it down because it's funny to me, thanks to Jelly Jiggler.

A week or two later, I received a phone call informing me that I had been sorted into the Nu chapter. At first I was upset. It wasn't my first choice, and I wrote it down as more of a joke anyway! Begrudgingly, I attended the first Nu meeting. Once again, I wasn't thrilled with the prospect of forming brotherly bonds with a bunch of dudes; for me, the frat was just a means to an end.

And now, let's think again about the concept of serendipity... finding something greater than that which I originally sought. Did I find my eternal companion thanks to my membership with Nu? Nope. Did I go on a million dates thanks to the fraternity? Nope. Just two. Did I find out just how badly I needed friends? Did I find out I was missing out on the joy I once knew from seeing others find success, to have people take a genuine interest in my well-being without being "obligated" to? Absolutely. Did I forge relationships that will uplift me and strengthen me for the rest of my life? You bet.

At first, I wasn't sure if I wanted to actively participate in Nu, but sure enough, I decided to stick it out and see what would happen. It seemed so odd to me; why would these guys be so nice and accepting towards someone like me? I mean, it's not like I've got a bunch of hangups or anything, or am unpleasant... but it just seemed so wonderfully different for a change. I guess I could say the turning point in my attitude is when, after an unfortunate date night, I got a ride home from someone who would become one of my very best friends. His name is Jamison Morris.

Here is a man who didn't even know me aside from brief one-hour activities every Wednesday night. That notwithstanding, when he offered me a ride home, he just let me talk about my life and the things that I felt at that time. He listened. He genuinely cared. He then told me about his experiences and hardships as well, and we bonded. Since then, he has been there for me through thick and thin. Through a particularly taxing, sorrowful (and thankfully brief) summer relationship I was involved in, he let me talk to him until late into the night about it. I remember that night very well; I looked at all the names in my phone's address book, and he was the first person who I wanted to talk to.

My association with him has also brought me quite a bit of joy, especially as I recently got to see him be sealed to his sweetheart. Even on his big day, he still asked me how my life was going. Gosh, what a great friend! His example has definitely brought me closer to something I've been sensing for a while now...

No comments:

Post a Comment