Saturday, October 22, 2011

By Wave of Information

I always love how in Sacrament Meetings and other meetings within the church we have our specific terminologies and idioms that I'm not sure we'd have otherwise. Things like "bear with me", "we thank thee for the moisture we have received" (who calls it "moisture" in regular day to day talk besides weathermen?!), "nourish and strengthen our bodies", which I'm sure sounds like gobblygook to poor primary kids trying to learn how to pray. In fact, I would venture to say that the thought process is something like, "I have no idea what nourish means, but grownups say it, so I should too." Finally, the title of my post, "By Way of Information", which is said a lot in the conducting portion of the Sacrament block. Trivia: I used to think they were saying "By Wave of Information," which conjured an image of poor high councilmen sitting in a meeting and suddenly being inundated by papers and letters from the first presidency, whose wave was ridden all the way to the pulpit where, much like the "wave" passed on by sports-goers at stadiums, the congregation would ride the next wave of information all the way to... who knows where. Maybe it just crashes up against us like rocks at the beach.

In the words of the Ninja Turtles, "Ahhh... Shell Shock!"

No comments:

Post a Comment