Saturday, October 1, 2011

And Suddenly I Cared Again

Man, sometimes I need to give the "trauma switch" (or should I say "drama switch"?) in my brain a rest from time to time. So earlier today I was having a particularly bad day. What really set it off was the ever-looming paper that I had to write in my US Nat'l Gov't class (two apostrophes... yikes), and then I got another kick to the face (metaphorically speaking, of course.) I looked at my grade for my first Physics midterm and was extremely disappointed. I had missed thirty points. THIRTY POINTS. It was the end of the world. I figured that since there were 24 questions, all of them must have been worth 5 points or so. Which means I missed six problems... which was even more frustrating because I had that accursed "all of a sudden I remember how to do the problem" thing happen on the way to my next class after I had taken that exam. I divided 90 by 120 to see how I did... and it was a C. 

Or so I thought. I later found out it was actually considered a "B", but of course by then it was too late and I had already moved past the midterm and suddenly bombarded myself with all of my frustrations.. most of which were completely unfounded and irrational. I mentioned that I seem like I have to wait for the things I really want... which is kinda true (I mean, who doesn't have to wait?), but you know, why on earth am I waiting for some future event (embarrassingly enough, it was over video game releases of all things) to magically make me happy when I have happiness to be seized today? I mean, it hadn't even been Friday for more than 10 hours, and I had already condemned it as one of the worst days ever.

In short, I was like this. (I think the Kanji means "mope mope mope mope")

But then, thanks to this...    

And to her...

My day became a whole lot better.

So what caused the magic change of heart? Well, the first picture is a shot of some of my friends from the mission... many of whom I saw tonight. I had a really awesome opportunity to go to a mission reunion with my mission president this evening. I had just come from one of the most stressful days at work I had ever had. I was trying everything I could to not just scream. I didn't even take a break the whole time I was there. (Note: Well, I took a break to text some friends like once, but I did not take an "official work break"). But it turned out okay because it was pay day! It is always nice to be reminded why I took the dang job in the first place.

Anyhow, it was so very good to hear from so many people who are so precious to me. Seeing them succeed, smile, and be destined for nothing but greatness was really sweet. Sure, I was envious of the married ones (sigh), but it was still so good to know that we all could still talk and laugh like not a day had gone by since last we had been together. Some things never change, like Bullock completely ignoring my existence, and things like that... but that's okay too. 

I guess what really touched me was seeing President again. I never really had a great relationship with President Arbizu. I mean, it wasn't BAD by any means, but nonetheless, I was never that close to him. I was his secretary and just did as he asked me to. But tonight, when I saw him, he ran up to me and with a familiar yet tender "compaƱerito" gave me a great big hug. I felt loved. I really did. Later, when he was up on the stand speaking some words to us, I felt something we missionaries rarely felt in the mission; and that was a true, tender, pure love from President Arbizu. He had so many great things to say to everyone. He reminded us all that we will be blessed for our service, and that the Lord will fulfill His promises.

And I believe him.

Also, the second picture is of my beautiful sister Marianne. I love her so much. When I was having a bad day, she let me just talk to her for almost 45 minutes straight about everything. After I had decided I was having the worst day of all time (really, it just chalked up to me being stupid hard on myself), she let me just talk it out. And you know, I felt better. 

There's really nothing like knowing you are loved by someone somewhere. Animo!

No comments:

Post a Comment