Saturday, September 24, 2011

Kevin's Ordinary Life Part 2

As Mio from the TV show "My Ordinary Life" (Nichijou) puts it, "Maybe my ordinary life is just a series of miracles." I love that outlook, and am going to adopt it. And here is why.

As I mentioned in my post yesterday, there have been a lot of things recently in my life that have been wonderful, even if they appeared to be ordinary or coincidental at first. To that end, let me just fill you in on the story of my life this year alone.

Where we left off yesterday, I was in a rut. I realized that I was narrowly approaching the "been back for as long as I had been out" mark (regarding my mission). It was at that point that my eyes were opened. I was in a rut, and things needed to change. I was just teaching Sunday School (I love that calling, by the way), seeing the same people again and again, working the same job, and I was hardly making any progress at all. I decided to do two things: embrace the Singles' Ward, activities and all, and join an LDS Fraternity at the University of Utah.

You see, in my brash arrogance I thought that the Singles' Ward was a place where... how can I put this nicely... nerds and desperate people trying to get married desperately tried to get together. I thought the idea was so very quaint... a ward of my peers acting like we can actually run a real ward. Let me just say here that I have since THOROUGHLY REPENTED OF MY WAYS. I mean, there I was, inwardly mocking the activities and attitudes of Singles' Wards for attempting to make progress when I wasn't making any of my own. Hello, pot. It's kettle. You're black. So anyhow, I decided that I would just take a deep breath and embrace the "nerdiness" as I had previously perceived it. But one thought pervaded my mind... "I'll go to a Single's Ward, but there ain't NO WAY I'm going to the one in Riverton!" You see, I had some... less-than-stellar experiences in the Riverton YSA ward before, and as such, I was prepared to have the same kind of experience. Like always, the pessimist's charm won out. I went in expected to be disappointed, and guess what happened? I was disappointed. Holy cow, I feel so icky saying all of this. Bleah.

I feel like I should reinforce once again that I love my ward and the people in it now. And it's the one in Riverton. Just a reminder.

More tomorrow. Stay tuned!   

No comments:

Post a Comment