Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Poetry Slam Part II

Here's another poem that I wrote. I've actually been working on this one for a month or so now. While it doesn't currently reflect my life circumstances, it still talks about a lot of things that I think about more often than I realize. Anyhow, without further hubbub, here is my poem. I call it: "An Old Friend".

As I walked along the old and lonely path,
for a stretch of time I can’t seem to measure,
in front of my eyes I beheld a creature, monstrous and black,
which at first glance filled my soul with deep displeasure.

Its head slowly reared up as its gaze met mine.
Firmly, yet haltingly it spoke, “Will you walk with me?”
Taken aback, I considered the proposition, and--
after a bit-- replied, “I cannot. I have much farther to go, you see.”

Again the creature sighed and --baring its fangs—
seemed to plead once again, “I know the way. Take my hand.”
As it reached out its paw, with claws outstretched;
suddenly I knew there was something I needed to understand.

I accepted its request, and we began our climb
as running waters reflected scenes of memories.
It seemed I saw the faces of loved ones long past,
both there and in my companion’s eyes, black as emery’s.

Along our journey we did meet a woman and her child,
who stopped cold at the sight of my companion, the beast.
She took the young one into her arms and fled,
unable, it seemed, to bear the sight of him in the least.

“Why did they run off so quickly?” I wondered.
As the creature and I continued; travelers passing us by.
The sun rose, the sun set, we crossed crag and ravine,
yet out of all that we met, none dared to meet its eye.

Once, after a long, difficult day on the trail,
the monster and I stopped to rest in a clearing,
the wind blew through the trees, and I was surprised--
was that music and children’s laughter that I was hearing?

Suddenly the wind blew chill, roaring loud,
as it threatened to topple a nearby tree,
I cried out for help, and when I awoke,
I found no harm had been done; the creature sheltered me.

In a time that now seems all too short,
my fellow traveler stopped along the way.
I turned and asked, “Is something the matter?”
To which the creature replied, “Please hear what I will say.” 

“I have walked this path many times before,”
Said he, as his fearful mane melted from view,
“I have shown you the way, and here we part,
so I can accompany other travelers like you.”

“Must you go so soon?” I cried,
unable, somehow, to fight the tears.
Realizing finally with whom I’d walked,
He who once was the whole of my fears.

“Many will not walk with me, or bear my company.”
Some will build entire cities—lives--just to escape me.
But if they will just walk with me for a moment,
I can teach them that life doesn’t have to begin and end in misery.

As the gates finally opened ahead, light pouring in,
I watched my companion disappear around the bend.
While most people feared him and others fled,
I, I was able to bid farewell to Sorrow not as my enemy…

… but as a friend.

2 comments:

  1. I liked it very much, also. You have a great talent for expressing profound thoughts in simple ways.

    ReplyDelete